From COFFMAN Steven <SCoff...@CBSINC.com>
Subject RE: TableCell or TableRow Larger than a page( bug fix )
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2000 19:45:40 GMT
What do you do when a table row that is too wide for a page has the Keep
Together attribute?

My preference would be just to handle it so that it's like a spreadsheet.
When you print out a spreadsheet where a row doesn't fit, a blank page
containing the overflow portion of the rows is printed.

-Steve
-----Original Message-----
From: Corinna Hischke [mailto:corinna@infix.de]
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 9:19 AM
To: fop-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: TableCell or TableRow Larger than a page( bug fix )

Hi all,

Karen suggested a solution which is fully spec-aware (as far as I can
tell) and conforms to user expectations as well. I strongly support
that, especially her two-step-approach:

1. Try to satisfy requirements specified by properties.

2. Deliberately give up certain constraints if a sensible solution
   cannot be found otherwise (e.g. splitting content is preferable to
   losing content).

As regards Keiron's argument that complete rows should always appear
on the same page because otherwise we would in effect have two rows: I
don't agree for two reasons.

1. If we applied that argument consistently, we could not split
   anything. Splitting a table would in effect create two tables.
   Splitting a block would in effect create two blocks. I guess this
   is not a 'clear indication of voter intent' ;-).

2. The table row property 'keep-together' would be meaningless.

- Corinna