From "G. Ken Holman" <gkhol...@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Subject RE: Book recommendations
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:50:53 GMT
At 00/12/12 05:11 -0800, you wrote:
>I have taken the Swing and XSLT book recommendations posted by people on
>this mailing list and collated them into an article on my
>www.DiverseBooks.com website.

May I be so bold as to suggest our own XSLT book "Practical Transformation
Using XSLT and XPath" ISBN 1-894049-05-5 (Eighth Edition) be included in
the list?  The Ninth Edition is due out by Christmas and, as with all
editions of the book, is free of charge to any customer of an earlier
edition.  This book has been published since April 1999 and three editions
have been produced since the Recommendations were finalized.

A 120-page free download preview excerpt of the book (entire content of
first two modules and last two annexes) can be obtained at any time from
the "Commercial Training Material and Book Sales" link from our home
page.  This is meant to both be a useful introduction to XSLT and XPath in
the event people do not wish to purchase, as well as introduce the format
and presentation of the book itself to people who are considering the
purchase.  Purchase options are either a single copy, a site-wide staff
license, or a world-wide staff license.  The book is sold as PDF files in
10 different renditions, 5 in each of A4 and US-letter sizes.  A ZIP of all
sample fragments is included in order to work with or tweak the examples.

Instructor-led commercial training courses, with hands-on exercises not
included in the book, are derived from the book and are delivered both by
Crane and by a number of licensees around the world (currently Australia,
Belgium, U.K., Canada, and the U.S.).  We are next hosting our own
three-day delivery February 27-March 1, 2001 in Ottawa (yes, we'll see just
how popular this technology is by inviting people to Ottawa in the middle
of winter!).  The week after we are delivering the two-day pre-conference
tutorial at the XSLT Conference in the U.K.  See the "Training Course
Information and Conference Schedule" link from our home page for dates and
times of our own deliveries and for a current list of licensees.

Work is already in progress on "Practical Formatting Using XSLFO" (no final
date estimated at this early stage).  The publishing model for this book
will be the same as for our XSLT book with periodic free updates to
existing customers of the same title.  Instructor-led courses are also
being developed.

I hope this information helps.

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com