From "Fotis Jannidis" <fotis.janni...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>
Subject Re: Timelines
Date Wed, 27 Dec 2000 11:11:14 GMT
From:           	Arved Sandstrom <Arved_37@chebucto.ns.ca>

> Number one, Fotis provided a gap analysis (I think against Basic conformance).
> We should all revisit that, and try to plan our work accordingly. If you have a
> separate area of expertise, like Keiron does with SVG, then this is not quite
> relevant, but for the rest of us it would be cool if 75%+ of what we do is
> devoted to FOP 1.0, which must be a Basic conformance release, at a minimum.
> This is me in cheerleading mode. :-)

See the list at the end for all missing formatting objects and
properties to reach basic conformance. Actually, some properties,
we are listing as implemented, are also not completely supported,
because some property values are not allowed/used.

> I'd like to get as much comment as possible from committers and developers and
> users about where and how you think FOP should be headed in the next 6 months.

I think, if we have basic conformance in the next 3-6 months, we are
making good progress. A monthly release seems a good idea to me.

The work which has to be done for the Fop 1.0 release includes
changing the basic layout classes to really implement all rules and
constraints of stacking blocks and line areas, p.e. handling of
reference areas (Karen has pointed out these problems).

Fotis

Todo for basic conformance:

1.One category of tasks will be to implement missing formatting
objects.

  fo:declarations
  fo:multi-case
  fo:table-and-caption