From Carlos Villegas <...@uniscope.co.jp>
Subject Re: Page Binding and text-align="inside"|"outside"
Date Tue, 26 Dec 2000 02:14:18 GMT

"J. David Eisenberg" wrote:
> I'm not worried about the fact that FOP doesn't implement them yet, though
> it would be nice for page numbering.  What bothers me is that I can't find
> any other place in the spec that discusses how page binding edges are
> determined. (I may have just not read the spec thoroughly enough; a grep
> for "bind" did not produce any useful results.)

Usually in left-to-right writing the first page of a book is an odd page
or verso. Which means the binding side is on the left of an odd page.
However, in Japanese or Chinese when the book is set in top-to-bottom
vertical writing, is the opposite. Western people would say that the
books starts at the back! Therefore, you're right, if there's nothing
in the spec about it, it's probably a mistake and should be reported.

Carlos Villegas