From "Fotis Jannidis" <fotis.janni...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>
Subject RE: Scaling of images
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:39:35 GMT
A while ago we discussed scaling of images on the list. Our problem
was: what is the conversion between pixels and document units?

Now Anders Berglund from the xsl:fo working group clarified this:

I thought the XSL CR (and the text has not
changed for several WDs) text was clear that IF a graphics format (like
JPEG and TIF) has an intrinsic size that it was used for the graphic (as
modified by the various scaling properties) and that IF a graphics format
(like GIF) did not have an intrinsic size defined the conversion to "real"
units was implementation defined BUT (in a Note) it is suggested that for
raster formats 1/96" for 1 pixel is a reasonable conversion.

This means, we don't have to invent a factor (what I mistakingly
thought), but there is a recommendation in the recommendation.
Handling of image size would look like this: Check whether the
image is in a file format which has intrinsic size definition. If yes,
use this, if no, take the pixel size (* 1/96")

Fotis