From Stephan Albers <Stephan.Alb...@jcatalog.com>
Subject Re: configuration
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2000 20:09:52 GMT
Fotis Jannidis schrieb:

>   bin  :  shell scripts/batch files for invokation
>   conf :  configuration
>   hyph :  hyphenation files, dtd, raw/serialized pattern files
>   lib  :  jar files
>   src  :  optional sources"
>
> I think this is a sound approach because the user can access
> configuration information and add new hyphenation files with ease,
> and I only see the one problem: you can't handle/move only the jar
> file. So another possible approach would be to put all this into the jar
> file and allow the user to overwrite the configuration file in the jar file
> with his own via a commandline switch (and the configuration file
> has a pointer to the hyphenation files).

If the internal configuration is some kind of default, that's fine. But
nobody should come close to the impression, that this file should be
changed.. because that would mix program and data in a very dangerous
way (what did you install on your machine?!).

Typically you want to have user-specific, server-specific or
company-specific configurations, so it would be nice if this could later
be incorporated into the configuration files.

Stephan