From "Jeremias Maerki" <jeremias.mae...@outline.ch>
Subject Re: Some notes on FOP regarding fonts
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 10:35:16 GMT
> Hi Jeremias
> thanks for your help and to the latest cocoon1.8.1-dev release
> (from the last week end :-), I was able to run fop0.15 (the previous cocoon release
> was not working with fop > 0.13)
>
> Now I am facing the problem of finding the PFM file for futura
> (I am a newbie in the font business).
> I understand that Adobe is selling CDROM's with font libraries.
> Do you know where I can get something like that quickly?
> It's not about paying the fee but about time, I have 1 day left for that!

It sounds to me like you're not having a type 1 font here. Have a look
at your font. Is it something like futura.ttf? Then it's a TrueType font
and you will have to get the Adobe Type 1 equivalent for that font. Type
1 fonts normally get distributed as multiple files (as far as I know):
- *.pfb which contain the actual font
- *.pfm which contain the font metrics (that's what you need to look
for)
- *.pfa (optional)

As far as I know, there are CDROMs from Adobe that contain a lot of
fonts (Like you said). Then, individual fonts can be unlocked for use by
buying a licence on Adobe's website. You will probably get a unlocking
code, so you can extract a funtional copy of the font from the CDROM.
Maybe you can borrow such a CDROM somewhere, maybe in a copyshop or from
someone who does graphical things.

Try this URL:
http://www.adobe.com/store/products/typeoncall.html

Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Postfach 3954 - Rhynauerstr. 15 - 6002 Luzern
Fon +41 (0)41 317 2020 - Fax +41 (0)41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch