From Keiron Liddle <kei...@aftexsw.com>
Subject Re: TableCell or TableRow Larger than a page( bug fix )
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 12:18:28 GMT

I was talking about the strange behaviour in the attached examples.

I think I am mainly considering situations where none of a cell can be
placed in the first page so that the cell starts on the next page and
other cells are placed on the next page that don't need to be.
I'm not saying that all of the row needs to be on the page, just the
start of all the cells in the row.

the keep-together says
"A keep-together condition is satisfied if all areas generated and
returned by the formatting object are descendants of a single
context-area."
So this could be applying to the areas returned by each cell, meaning
that the contents of any cells cannot go over a page.

Corinna Hischke wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Karen suggested a solution which is fully spec-aware (as far as I can
> tell) and conforms to user expectations as well. I strongly support
> that, especially her two-step-approach:
>
> 1. Try to satisfy requirements specified by properties.
>
> 2. Deliberately give up certain constraints if a sensible solution
>    cannot be found otherwise (e.g. splitting content is preferable to
>    losing content).
>
> As regards Keiron's argument that complete rows should always appear
> on the same page because otherwise we would in effect have two rows: I
> don't agree for two reasons.
>
> 1. If we applied that argument consistently, we could not split
>    anything. Splitting a table would in effect create two tables.
>    Splitting a block would in effect create two blocks. I guess this
>    is not a 'clear indication of voter intent' ;-).

Thats like saying that if we have an fo:block with text that changes font
size mid sentence it ok to be like so

text text text text text text text text text
text text text text
                          text text text text text
text text text text text text text text text
text text text text

Hence the two lines where there should be one.