From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: Timelines
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2024 13:24:09 GMT
At 12:11 PM 12/27/00 +0100, Fotis Jannidis wrote:

>The work which has to be done for the Fop 1.0 release includes
>changing the basic layout classes to really implement all rules and
>constraints of stacking blocks and line areas, p.e. handling of
>reference areas (Karen has pointed out these problems).

Yes, I recall Karen mentioning this. This is a good point, one I missed - we
want to really tighten up on the nuts and bolts. I remember someone in the
last few weeks complaining that our line-stacking strategy was unclear,
which is likely true, for example. I believe Karen also mentioned that this
includes making sure that areas at all levels of the hierarchy have the
traits that they are supposed to have, and that all areas actually fill
well-understood positions in a well-understood hierarchy.

This all goes hand-in-hand with improved commenting aimed at understanding
what current variables and methods do. I don't know about anyone else, but
in some source files I am a bit nervous about changing some instance
variables because I'm not absolutely positive on what they represent.

IMO we also need to do region-start and region-end. Having left and right
margins is pretty important. Let's face it, all of the 4 outside regions are
Extended, so if we have 2 of them, why not all 4. If we are reviewing layout
anyhow, then this is the right time to make adjustments for region-start and
region-end.

Arved

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)