From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject RE: Moving to Xalan2J's TRaX interfaces
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2000 02:33:01 GMT
At 03:49 PM 12/20/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I agree, java -jar is nice. However, we shouldn't have to rebundle
>everything in the one jar file. We should use the classpath directive in the
>manifest to link in other jars from the lib directory.
>
>Also, why use -1, -2, -3 rather than some more symbolic names?
>
>Perhaps somewhat like xalan uses:
>
>XalanCommandLine:
>java -jar fop.jar -xml foo.xml -xslt foo.xslt -pdf foo.pdf
>CommandLine:
>java -jar fop.jar -fo foo.fo -pdf foo.pdf
>AWTCommandLine:
>java -jar fop.jar -fo foo.fo

Yeah, this I like, too. Might be my UNIX fondness for switches... :-)

>> 1) move to xalan 2 after it's first final release in January?
>> +1

+1. Yup, as soon as the thing is reliable.

>> 2) distribute Fop ready rolled?
>> +1

Yes, with the caveat that people have access to a single separate binary
fop.jar. The issue here is not disk space; a lot of folks still have dialup
connections and no access at work, necessarily, so sub-56K downloads of a
~5MB distro is no fun.

+1.

>1) I would prefer to see Fop be able to use xalan2 and xalan1 (for those
>people who have production systems using Fop w/xalan1 and can't spend the
>time to upgrade everything else they're using xalan1 for) but if we can't
>handle the problems that supporting both might bring, it won't bother me
>much if we completely switch to xalan2. (maybe this is really a -0? :-)

Basically +0 for me. Whatever works.

Arved

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)