From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject RE: new release fop-0_14_1_jdk11.jar
Date Sun, 03 Dec 2000 14:22:04 GMT
At 11:14 AM 12/2/00 +0100, Fotis Jannidis wrote:
>> Arved
>>
>> One option is to get column code into a new experimental branch, say
within
>> 2 weeks, and build an Sun-style "early access" release JAR and put it up
on
>> the downloads, clearly labelled as experimental. What do folks think?
>
>Mmh, not sure we need this. Fop itself is clearly labelled as
>experimental. The discussion about the correct table row
>behaviour shows that even the main branch of the code (the
>production release ;-) is just a first interpretation of the xsl
>specification and may contain the usual bugs *and* cause problems
>for people who have another understanding how this feature should
>work. At the moment I see no reason, why this should be different
>for columns. Just mark the limitations of the new code and throw it
>in. It is easier for all to have just one version of Fop to discuss. If
>somebody really uses Fop in a production environment then he/she
>could always return to the last release before that if you broke
>anything else.
>
>vote: 0 (abstention)
>
>Fotis

I am swayed by your argument. After a bit more work I'm going to throw
column support into the main branch. Worst comes to worst, if that code is
still flaky right before the next release, it's actually not so difficult to
introduce some quick, reliable hacks that switch the offending stuff out.

Arved

Senior Developer
e-plicity.com (www.e-plicity.com)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
"B2B Wireless in Canada's Ocean Playground"