From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Timelines
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2024 04:17:00 GMT
Hi, all (committers, actually)

With the year drawing to a close, I'd like to highlight the fact that we have
the XSL-FO CR period terminating at the end of February, and make a few
suggestions, that probably don't need to be voted on.

Number one, Fotis provided a gap analysis (I think against Basic conformance).
We should all revisit that, and try to plan our work accordingly. If you have a
separate area of expertise, like Keiron does with SVG, then this is not quite
relevant, but for the rest of us it would be cool if 75%+ of what we do is
devoted to FOP 1.0, which must be a Basic conformance release, at a minimum.
This is me in cheerleading mode. :-)

I don't want to propose a hard schedule for a FOP 1.0 release, but OTOH I think
we have got to start thinking about a target "month", plus or minus one. I'd
like to suggest that all the committers, and other developers, look at the gaps
and try to come up with an effort estimate. This will be a really rough
figure, I know, but it's something we can put on the table and sort of plan
with.

On a related note, I want to use the New Year to ramp up the energy, and I
propose to do that by having releases come out no less often than twice a
month, and possibly once a week, with release versioning driven by how much
has changed. I think this will help pump us up. I'm not suggesting that we've
slacked - I'm really impressed by the last 6 months - but why not notch it up?
:-)

I'd like to get as much comment as possible from committers and developers and
users about where and how you think FOP should be headed in the next 6 months.

Also - this is my final plug - let's try to really beef up our examples. I
think that not all of the examples necessarily have to be ones that FOP handles
properly - yet - but it would be cool if we had test FO files that cover
everything that FOP 1.0 should be able to do. We could put those into a "dev-FO"
directory, perhaps, and as FOP matures to handle them, they could migrate over
into straightforward examples. Contributions from all are welcome.

Enough of the rah-rah for now. :-) Hope everyone had good holidays, and best
wishes for the upcoming New Year.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom