From Art Welch <ar...@EASTPOINT.COM>
Subject RE: PDF Compression and IE5
Date Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:22:12 GMT

Apache Http Server (do not know the version off hand - probably the latest -
or close to it)

Art

-----Original Message-----
From: Kelly Campbell [mailto:camk@merlot.channelpoint.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2000 7:34 PM
To: fop-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: PDF Compression and IE5

Note that using flate and ascii-85 together provides some
compression. The ascii-85 filter just expands the flate binary data by a
factor of 4 to 5 (4 binary bytes expands into 5 ascii bytes). So you still
get a much smaller file using those two together, but it uses only ascii
printable characters under 128 in value.

In your servlet, are you setting the content type on the HttpServletResult
to the proper one for PDF? Also, what servlet engine/web server
combination are you using? I'd like to try to reproduce this problem.

Arved, can you uncomment the ascii-85 filter in the config.xml before
building the 0.16 release? That will hopefully reduce this kind of problem
until we can figure out exactly what to do about it. I'm not going to be
able to check in any changes with my vacation net access.

-Kelly

--
Kelly A. Campbell              Software Engineer
<camk@merlotxml.org>           ChannelPoint, Inc.