From Art Welch <ar...@EASTPOINT.COM>
Subject RE: PDF Compression and IE5
Date Tue, 26 Dec 2000 17:55:06 GMT
I will look into the binary stuff. That seems plausible. I am actually
dynamically generating the PDFs on-the-fly in a servlet. I do a Http post
providing the necessary information to locate the source XML and stylesheet,
etc and it gives me back a PDF that displays in the browser. I am using a
subclass of Driver that I can toggle the compression on or off as desired.
When compression is off (using the ascii-85 filter) the PDF displays
properly. When on, the browser displays a blank page. I had similar probems
previously displaying PDFs, but since upgrading everything (AcrobatReader,
IE, Windows2000, etc) have not had a problem until this. I will look into
this - some of our files are quite huge, so compression would be much
appreciated.

Art

P.S. Do not break a leg.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kelly Campbell [mailto:camk@merlot.channelpoint.com]
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2000 11:07 PM
To: fop-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: PDF Compression and IE5

The problem I had originally was more of a binary formatting problem
between linux where the PDF was generated and windows where it was being
read. I also found out later that I had mistakenly added the pdf to the
particular web site's revision control system in ascii, not binary
mode. So if you use CVS to maintain your web site make sure the pdf was
added with -kb

So, check the following:
1. The file is being sent from the web server in  binary format (I'm not
exactly sure how most web servers handle this. I added a binary comment at
the beginning of fop pdf files, so if it looks for binary characters in
the first 512 bytes or something, that should work)

2. That it was copied to the web server in binary to start with

If that doesn't solve it, you can add in one of the ascii filters in
config.xml, then rebuild and rerun fop to build the pdf file. (you can
skip the rebuild of fop if you use the userconfig mechanism of the
configuration system (I don't recall what the commandline switch is, but I
know it's documented in the example userconfig.xml)

I would recommend flate + ascii-85. If that doesn't work, you can comment
out the flate filter in the config so no compression is applied.

Let us know what the problem/solution was in your case so if a fix needs
applied, I can look into it.

Happy holidays

-Kelly (on xmas/new years/skiing vacation the next two weeks, checking
mail intermittently)

Art Welch wrote:

If I recall correctly someone (Kelly?) had mentioned a short while back
that PDF compression did not work with IE5. I downloaded a new FOP from
CVS a couple of days ago and it appears to still not be working. When I
use FOP in a servlet if compression is on then IE yields a blank screen.
If I turn compression off then I get the correct results. Interestingly if
I create a PDF file (compressed or not) then I can open it successfully in
Acrobat. I have not tried accessing the PDF file in IE.

I was just wondering if any progress has been made on this or if there are
any more insights into this problem.