From Art Welch <ar...@EASTPOINT.COM>
Subject RE: how to extend XSLFO?
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:43:04 GMT
I do not recall any discussions on FOP proprietary extensions. I think that
the FOP developers have been more concerned about achieving compliance to
the spec than adding functionality above and beyond it. Personally I think
that is appropriate at this point. However as others have pointed out this
is an open source volunteer effort. So if a volunteer wants/needs something
- as long as it does not conflict with the group goals, they can add what
they want.

Regarding the table of contents in particular, it seems to me that this may
be better as a region or something, probably with its own flow.

Opinions expressed are those of the author and probably bear no resemblance
to any other person living or dead.

Art

-----Original Message-----
From: Kelly Campbell [mailto:camk@channelpoint.com]
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2000 4:35 PM
To: 'fop-dev@xml.apache.org'
Subject: how to extend XSLFO?

I was wondering if anyone has yet discussed proprietary additions to XSLFO,
and how to go about adding something. The use-case I am thinking of is a PDF
table of content markers for adding bookmarks in the left-hand pane of
Acrobat reader to give the user an easier navigation of a document. I didn't
see anything in the FO spec that seemed to work for something like this.
Perhaps this discussion is better suited for the xsl-dev list, but I thought
I'd try here first since the other list seems geared more towards xslt.

Would it be evil to start adding something like fop extensions in a
different namespace for this type of extra functionality? e.g:

<fop:toc label="Introduction">
  <fo:block id="sect-intro">
   Section 1: Introduction
  </fo:block>
  <fo:block>
    Some text for the section
  </fo:block>
  <fop:toc label="subsection">
    <fo:block>
     Section 1.1: stuff
    </fo:block>
  </fop:toc>
</fop:toc>

-Kelly
--
Kelly A. Campbell                       Software Engineer
<camk@channelpoint.com>                 ChannelPoint, Inc.