From Art Welch <ar...@EASTPOINT.COM>
Subject RE: configuration
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 00:20:35 GMT
My initial reaction is that I prefer the "in the JAR" option with
commandline/run-time switches/options to point to other
files/directories/settings as needed.

IMVVVHO,
Art

-----Original Message-----
From: Fotis Jannidis [mailto:fotis.jannidis@lrz.uni-muenchen.de]
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 5:56 PM
To: fop-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: configuration

Carlos Villegas has sent me the new hyphenation classes. Now the
point has come we really need some configuration. I wrote some
simple classes as announced and now we need a place where the
configuraton files can and should be.
Carlos made the following proposition:

 " Following the example of other Apache projects, we could have
  an installation directory structure like the following,
  assuming we have a FOP directory:

  bin  :  shell scripts/batch files for invokation
  conf :  configuration
  hyph :  hyphenation files, dtd, raw/serialized pattern files
  lib  :  jar files
  src  :  optional sources"

I think this is a sound approach because the user can access
configuration information and add new hyphenation files with ease,
and I only see the one problem: you can't handle/move only the jar
file. So another possible approach would be to put all this into the jar
file and allow the user to overwrite the configuration file in the jar file
with his own via a commandline switch (and the configuration file
has a pointer to the hyphenation files).
Please comment on this and/or add you own ideas.

Thanks,
Fotis