From Art Welch <ar...@EASTPOINT.COM>
Subject RE: new release fop-0_14_1_jdk11.jar
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2000 19:14:11 GMT
If we can get column support by Christmas, that would be good. I would not
bother with an "early access" release. In a couple of weeks that will only
be a bit before Christmas anyway. Maybe when it is able to be checked in, it
could be put into CVS and then let the early(ier)-adopters bang on it for a
while before doing an official build (0.16?).

Just my very humble opinion,
Art

-----Original Message-----
From: Arved Sandstrom [mailto:Arved_37@chebucto.ns.ca]
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2000 9:16 PM
To: fop-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: new release fop-0_14_1_jdk11.jar

At 01:14 PM 12/1/00 -0500, Art Welch wrote:
>I quickly looked at the Features list on the FOP page and did not see it,
>did columns make it into the build?

Hi, Art

Preliminary (read "rough") column code is kicking around between Kelly
Campbell and myself. Neither one of us, I believe, has been able to look at
that for a couple of weeks. I want to do some more work on it, and get it
out there before Christmas. The main thing is, column support is an
all-or-nothing deal that affects region-body no matter what, even if one is
not actually using multiple columns...every FO file out there will break if
we don't have solid code, so we want to be careful.

One option is to get column code into a new experimental branch, say within
2 weeks, and build an Sun-style "early access" release JAR and put it up on
the downloads, clearly labelled as experimental. What do folks think?

Arved

Senior Developer
e-plicity.com (www.e-plicity.com)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
"B2B Wireless in Canada's Ocean Playground"