From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Column Support
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 04:09:40 GMT
Hi, all

"Rough around the edges" support for columns is now up in CVS. If I managed to
get every file committed and/or added, that is - I think I did.

The code has been checked against the new examples in
"docs/examples/region_body", and more importantly, all of the PDF files that
runtests.sh produces appear to be perfectly OK. This is my main concern, that
existing FO files not be affected. If you notice anything awry please let me
know.

As for the column support itself, here's a brief summary. The code, which has
been on hold for a month as I sorted out my ISP issues and inevitably did other
things, should be quite reliable for unbroken columns over multiple pages.

Spanning areas (full-width) are supported, but the balancing algorithm is
primitive. I hope for suggestions; it's not as easy as it looks, I found.

I have NOT looked at doing keeps and breaks against columns; OTOH, I don't
think this would be too difficult. Hopefully that's next.

The classes that model the new, complex region-body should easily lend
themselves to getting footnotes happening. Take a look at BodyAreaContainer, in
particular. This is sort of my goal for January, actually - footnotes.

I tagged the CVS prior to committing this stuff, under tag name 'pre-column' I
think. Just in case. Although if you never use columns you ought not to notice
anything.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

P.S. This was my first real careful look at our examples in a few months, since
I had to check. Very impressive stuff. It's starting to come together. :-)

--
Senior Software Guy
e-plicity (www.e-plicity.com)