From "Jess Holle and Wendy Vidlak" <jessho...@mediaone.net>
Subject RE: Newbie - FOP PDF not opening in IE5
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:13:46 GMT
Would that this only occurs in IE5.5!

This happens in IE5.0 as well!

Your explanation is pretty much what I understood (barring the IE5.5
security bit).  What about "headers that make it look as though only a pdf
FILE is returned", however?  What do you mean by this and can one do just
this and not have the source end in .pdf?

If not, how can one possibly have a single servlet or JSP page that
dynamically decides on the response format (e.g. based on the xsl:output tag
in a dynamically chosen XSLT stylesheet)???

-----Original Message-----
From: Harry Evans [mailto:hevans@elite.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 6:36 PM
To: 'fop-dev@xml.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Newbie - FOP PDF not opening in IE5

In general with PDFs and IE5, I have found that the pdf must be requested
from a source that has a .pdf extension, and the response from the server
must have headers that make it look as though only a pdf FILE is returned.
IE5 doesn't seem to respect the Content-type header in some cases, and
simply looks at the file extension.  I read something on the MS site about a
"new security model" in IE 5.5 that causes this symptom.  That is the only
explanation for this behaviour I have seen so far.

Hope this helps.

Harry Evans
www.elite.com