From "Christopher R. Maden" <cr...@lexica.net>
Subject Re: HTML -> FO ? RTF -> FO
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2000 02:13:23 GMT
At 14:19 5-10-2000 +0100, Andrew Sealy-Bell wrote:
>Hi.  Does anybody out there have an HTML -> FO transform.  We need to allow
>our clients to specify the style of their documentation using something like
>Adobe FrameMaker.  One of the output formats of FrameMaker is HTML.  We
>would then apply a transform on the HTML to populate it with the required
>data and then again to FOP possibly.
>
>Another possibillity is RTF -> FOP but it appears that a transform doen't
>yet exist to do this either.  Anybody?

Um... given that FrameMaker is an established high-quality print
preparation system, why do you need FOs?  Not that I want to put XSL down,
but FrameMaker is an order of magnitude more mature.  (It's also much more
expensive, but if you've already got it...)

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question correctly, though.  It looks
like you might be asking about the clients defining the *style*, not the
content, in Frame, and then somehow turning that into an XSL stylesheet to
apply against XML content.  The easiest way to do that is to have the
designer work in Frame with formal design notes, and then have someone who
knows XSL and the content involved sit down and write a stylesheet.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, Senior XML Analyst, Lexica LLC
222 Kearny St., Ste. 202, San Francisco, CA 94108-4510