From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XSL, why another language?
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:32:55 GMT
COFFMAN Steven wrote:

> Stefano said:
> > I'm currently playing around with the idea of creating a small
> > namespace-driven and incremental-only transformation language for server
> > side use that uses the "transformation by example" concept used in a
> > couple of papers I found about SGML transformation.
>
> You're always two steps ahead of me.

Nah.

> I wrote a python program to take two
> XML files and figure out an XSL:T file to generically transform the first
> into the second.

I thought about that as well, but didn't have time to code anything.

> Right now, it just recognizes which element values match,
> and makes the XSLT to get there. I'm not really happy with it, as it goes
> psycho with complex stuff. I had been thinking about using DTD/schema
> information, but hadn't figured out how yet.

As a general problem, it's a computational nightmare: given the two
schemas, you need a very large number of instances to come up with a
decent transformation.

But I think it can be proved that the algorithm always converges to a
solution: this guarantees such a tool is possible to create.

Might be a very nice project to start, what do you think?

> Where's the papers?

I'll send it to you privately.

> And how do you find all this buried arcana?

I'm a good data miner :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.