From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XSL, why another language?
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:18:06 GMT
Nikolai Grigoriev wrote:

> Stefano,
>
> > I'm currently playing around with the idea of creating a small
> > namespace-driven and incremental-only transformation language for server
> > side use that uses the "transformation by example" concept used in a
> > couple of papers I found about SGML transformation.
>
> Sounds extremely interesting; I look forward for announcements ;-).

not any time soon.... it's *way* down in my todo list :)

> > Totally agreed. In fact, even this project uses XML + XSLT to generate
> > java code and it's a very clean approach.
>
> No l'è bel quel cl'è bel, ma quel ch'el piés... (è romagnolo, spero che si
> capisca ;-)).

Now, the last thing I was expecting was some italian dialect written in
a english-based mail list by a guy with a russian name.

This tells you something about this planet, doesn't it? :)

> I recognize the fashion of XSLT; but I wonder if data contained in
> your XML sources really require complex transformations. In my opinion, XSLT is
> about converting complex, ramified tree structures; to generate code by
> enumerating tabular data, won't it be more natural to use Perl?

Very good point, but perl is not available on all platforms :)

Hmmm, does anybody know of a Perl implementation in Java? :)

> > Anyway, any future plan to use SVG for the barcode stylesheet? :)
>
> I have only a vague idea of SVG - should learn it first ;-).

You should, it simply rocks: using tables for barcodes is clever, but
it's a big hack. SVG, on the other hand, it's a vector-based graphical
format, it was invented for those things.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.