From Carlos Villegas <...@uniscope.co.jp>
Subject Re: XSL Formatting Objects Chapter Updated
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:32:33 GMT
Eric SCHAEFFER wrote:
> Can you send me your code ?
>
> > I am generating some images and including them in a FOP generated PDF file
> using such a fake URLConnection class. Unfortunately the image at the moment
> is of class "Image" which seems to be uncompressed and the PDF file is
> around 2Mb because of it.
> >
> > If I can do this with an uncompressed Image I should be able to do the
> same thing with a GIF. Surely if I supply FOP with a GIF it wont uncompress
> it before putting it into the PDF file will it?
> >

> All images are uncompressed, because compression is different in PDF.
> But they are compressed again, using ZLib algo.
>
> The only difference there can be is that images are converted to RGB color
> space.

As I understand JPEG images and indexed images are treated the same way;
uncompressed to RGB color and compressed again with Zlib.
For bitmaps this is fine, but in case of JPEG, it's a waste to throw
away the 10:1 typical compression ratio of a JPEG image. Zlib can't
get those ratios. Wouldn't be possible to "just" include the JPEG image
in the
PDF. I don't know much about PDF, but it supports JPEG, version 1.3 even
support progressive JPEG and reading from external image files.
I know it may not be "just" including it, you might need to do some
manipulation, but I think it might be possible to extract the JPEG
data without modifying it. Just a thought...

Carlos Villegas