From Christian Geisert <Christian.Geis...@isu-gmbh.de>
Subject Re: Docbook and FOP
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:24:20 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I'm writing my thesis in Docbook and I'd like to print it out using FOP.

I had the same thoughts at the beginning but realised soon that FOP is not
(yet ;-) ready for this, but with XML is was no problem to transform my thesis
to TeXML and from this I got nice PDF via PDFTeX.

> I'm using Norman's XSLT stylesheets to convert Docbook into FO and they
> stretch the XML/XSLT/XSLFO model to its limits.

I just tried them with a quite simple example...

> So far I got it to work only with the simplest examples and I noted that
> the most striking problem is the extensive use of the <fo:inline>
> formatting object which is not recognized by FOP (because it's not
> implemented).

Strange, fo:inline is implemented, the properties color and
font-family/size/style should work.

> For more complex documents that use more or less all important DocBook
> elements, here is the output
>
> FOP 1.0 [dev]
> using SAX parser org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser

> http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format^table-header
> FATAL ERROR: proportional-column-width(
>
> Is anybody working on those FOs?

I think Karen Lease is working on tables.

I'm trying to implement text-decoration (underline), but at the moment I'm
a bit lost in FOText/BlockArea/LineArea...

> Does anybody else uses Norman's stylesheets for Docbook with FOP? Am I
> the only crazy guy? :)

No ;-)

Adios,
  Christian