From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Docbook and FOP
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:22:28 GMT
I'm writing my thesis in Docbook and I'd like to print it out using FOP.

I'm using Norman's XSLT stylesheets to convert Docbook into FO and they
stretch the XML/XSLT/XSLFO model to its limits.

So far I got it to work only with the simplest examples and I noted that
the most striking problem is the extensive use of the <fo:inline>
formatting object which is not recognized by FOP (because it's not
implemented).

For more complex documents that use more or less all important DocBook
elements, here is the output

FOP 1.0 [dev]
using SAX parser org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
using renderer org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer
using element mapping org.apache.fop.fo.StandardElementMapping
using element mapping org.apache.fop.svg.SVGElementMapping
using property list mapping
org.apache.fop.fo.StandardPropertyListMapping
using property list mapping org.apache.fop.svg.SVGPropertyListMapping
building formatting object tree
WARNING: Unknown formatting object
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format^inline
WARNING: Unknown formatting object
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format^table-and-caption
WARNING: Unknown formatting object
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format^table-caption
WARNING: Unknown formatting object
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format^table-header
FATAL ERROR: proportional-column-width(

Is anybody working on those FOs?

but I needed to get going so I removed the table section but still get a
bunch of

  WARNING: this version of FOP only supports static-content in
region-before and region-after

which is correct, but the latest XSL spec uses "xsl-region-before" and
"xsl-region-after", why are we still supporting the old names? bug or
feature?

BTW, Norman, what did you use to render your FOs? It's evident that FOP
was not used for that.

Does anybody else uses Norman's stylesheets for Docbook with FOP? Am I
the only crazy guy? :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.