From "Eric SCHAEFFER" <eschaef...@posterconseil.com>
Subject Re: XSL Formatting Objects Chapter Updated
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2000 06:55:15 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "COFFMAN Steven" <SCoffman@CBSINC.com>
To: <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Cc: <fop-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 10:10 PM
Subject: RE: XSL Formatting Objects Chapter Updated

> Hi,
> I'm away from my computer this week, could someone from FOP-dev
> verify the second comment here for accuracy? This past weekend I read the
> XSL chapter on a long car trip. It was actually a good read, and exposed a
> few holes in my understanding of the spec. I tried to approach it from the
> mindset of your target audience so here's my comments.
> ----
> -General: Throughout you say things like "this property can be set to
> reference-area or page" without distinguishing the property value from the
> rest of the sentence. It may just be the HTML version, but in the printed
> book you probably want to make them bold, quoted, italics, or something to
> increase readability.
>
> -FOP: You mention that external-graphics must use an absolute URL. As the
> proper FO for images has changed, FOP has changed too. However, I don't
> believe it's ever been true needed an absolute URL to embed an image, as
far
> as I know. Check the example file images.fo. (Maybe this was something we
> fixed in CVS after 0.14, but I don't think so).

FOP still need an absolute URL, but there's an exception : for file URLs, it
can be relative.

To be honest, I need to check that.
When I run FOP in stand-alone mode (command line), I can use a relative file
URL, and it is relative to where I start the program. I don't know how FOP
would react if I try the same thing with Cocoon (http URL to run FOP, and
http or file relative URLs in the fo file).

The problem is that the org.apache.fop.image.FopImageFactory class doesn't
have a "base" URL to create the absolute URL. Thus, that's the JVM/OS that
does it, and we don't have control on the process.

Eric.

> -Inconsistancy?: "Formating Object and Their Properties" section vs.
> "Contents" section
>    You mention in the "FO & their props." (paragraph 7) that there are
four
> types of FO areas: regions, block areas, line areas, and inline areas. Yet
> in "Contents" section you divide things into block, inline, table, and
> out-of-line. The subtle difference between area and content elements
> probably makes this different grouping confusing to newbies if it's not
> mentioned explicitly.
>
> - It might be good to distinguish between those objects which can be
broken
> across multiple pages, those that can't, and those you can specify.
>
> -Similarly, some block areas scale vertically when the "stuff" inside it
too
> big, but do any scale horizontally? I actually don't know this. Both would
> be good to mention.
>
> -In "Leaders and Rules" I always thought that "leader-length" was pretty
> tricky. In a rule, you naturally want it to be 100% of the width of the
> page/block. In a table of contents leader, you naturally want it to end
such
> that everythign ends up lined up. Maybe some additional words about the
> limitations and uses of leaders/rules might be in order.
>
> -I've got some long scrawl about force-page-count: auto vs. no-force.
> Apparently I thought elaboration was called for, but the road must have
> gotten bumpy, because I can't read the suggested wording at all. Sorry.
>
> Overall a very good FO introduction. Much more enjoyable than the spec.
The