From "Nikolai Grigoriev" <g...@renderx.com>
Subject Re: XSL, why another language?
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:18:44 GMT
Stefano,

> I'm currently playing around with the idea of creating a small
> namespace-driven and incremental-only transformation language for server
> side use that uses the "transformation by example" concept used in a
> couple of papers I found about SGML transformation.

Sounds extremely interesting; I look forward for announcements ;-).

> Totally agreed. In fact, even this project uses XML + XSLT to generate
> java code and it's a very clean approach.

No l'è bel quel cl'è bel, ma quel ch'el piés... (è romagnolo, spero che si
capisca ;-)). I recognize the fashion of XSLT; but I wonder if data contained in
your XML sources really require complex transformations. In my opinion, XSLT is
about converting complex, ramified tree structures; to generate code by
enumerating tabular data, won't it be more natural to use Perl?

> Anyway, any future plan to use SVG for the barcode stylesheet? :)

I have only a vague idea of SVG - should learn it first ;-).

Regards,
Nikolai