From "Dennis Dam" <d....@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: [VOTE] jetspeed-2 svn restructure to support separate lifecycle for the j2-admin application (and others)
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:58:54 GMT
+1

________________________________

Van: Ate Douma [mailto:ate@douma.nu]
Verzonden: wo 20-2-2008 22:49
Aan: Jetspeed Developers List
Onderwerp: [VOTE] jetspeed-2 svn restructure to support separate lifecycle for the j2-admin
application (and others)

Dear all,

The last months there have been several discussions about moving the j2-admin portlet application
out of the main jetspeed-2 trunk, such that it can be
maintained and managed as a separate release artifact.

The primary reasoning behind this is that many integrators and other custom portal developers
have separate usages for the Jetspeed Portal as base product and
  sometimes don't need j2-admin or otherwise need to extend it to their own needs.

Additionally, the j2-admin application by itself only depends on the jetspeed-api and is not
(and/or should not) be directly tied to the core implementation of
the portal. As such, it doesn't need to be part of the core portal release cycle and could
benefit greatly of a release cycle of its own. Enhancements and
bugfixes to j2-admin can then be released independently of the portal release cycle and thus
won't have to wait until a new version of the portal is ready.

To better facilitate these needs I'm proposing the following root jetspeed-2 svn restructuring:

1) create (at least) the following new root svn folder: /portal/jetspeed-2/portal
2) move the current trunk, branches and tags folders under this new root portal folder
3) promote (move) the current trunk/applications folder as a new root svn folder: /portal/jetspeed-2/applications
4) create (at least) new standard svn "management" folders trunk, branches and tags under
/portal/applications/j2-admin/
5) move all other existing files and subfolders of the j2-admin folder under its new trunk
folder

After these steps, the new jetspeed-2 svn structure will look like this:

/portals/jetspeed-2
   /applications
     /demo
     /gems
     /j2-admin
       /branches
       /tags
       /trunk
     /rss
  /portal
    /branches
    /tags
    /trunk

Concerning the other applications folders, demo, gems and rss: we are currently discussing
(in the PMC) an additional restructuring which might result in these
to be moved elsewhere shortly too. But as no final decision has been made yet, until then
we will keep them in the proposed location.

In addition to the svn restructure, we will also need a new JIRA project for j2-admin to be
able to properly maintain and track its own lifecycle and maintenance.
Proposed JIRA project key: J2-ADMIN.

Besides these changes, we will have to decide how to manage our website maintenance in the
future. Until the last release 2.1.3, all the website documentation
was generated with maven-1. As we are in the process of replacing the maven-1 build system
with a brand new maven-2 one, we will have to setup our website
generation anew anyway. The current idea is to keep generating the main site documentation
from within the (new) portal sub project, and integrate the separate
j2-admin documentation within that using the maven-2 site plugin which is supposed to be able
to do so.
This hasn't been tested out yet, but as many other Apache projects have a similar svn structure
with multiple independently released artifacts, we will find a
way to do so. One possibility or requirement might be to add an additional root "site" folder
to host a master site project configuration.

Finally, once we have this new svn structure in place, setting up additional (portal independent)
root folders and projects will become easy to do as well.
Envisioned already are a maven-2 master pom project and a general maven plugins project.

But for now, the issue at hand is the restructuring as outlined above.

So please vote:

[ ] +1 Yes, perform the svn restructuring and create new JIRA project J2-ADMIN
[ ]  0 Don't care
[ ] -1 No, do not restructure svn as outlined. Provide reasons and alternatives.

Thanks,

Ate