From "Mohan Kannapareddy" <kmoh....@gmail.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] jetspeed-2 svn restructure to support separate lifecycle for the j2-admin application (and others)
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:05:31 GMT
+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Ate Douma [mailto:ate@douma.nu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:50 PM
To: Jetspeed Developers List
Subject: [VOTE] jetspeed-2 svn restructure to support separate lifecycle for
the j2-admin application (and others)

Dear all,

The last months there have been several discussions about moving the
j2-admin portlet application out of the main jetspeed-2 trunk, such that it
can be
maintained and managed as a separate release artifact.

The primary reasoning behind this is that many integrators and other custom
portal developers have separate usages for the Jetspeed Portal as base
product and
  sometimes don't need j2-admin or otherwise need to extend it to their own
needs.

Additionally, the j2-admin application by itself only depends on the
jetspeed-api and is not (and/or should not) be directly tied to the core
implementation of
the portal. As such, it doesn't need to be part of the core portal release
cycle and could benefit greatly of a release cycle of its own. Enhancements
and
bugfixes to j2-admin can then be released independently of the portal
release cycle and thus won't have to wait until a new version of the portal
is ready.

To better facilitate these needs I'm proposing the following root jetspeed-2
svn restructuring:

1) create (at least) the following new root svn folder:
/portal/jetspeed-2/portal
2) move the current trunk, branches and tags folders under this new root
portal folder
3) promote (move) the current trunk/applications folder as a new root svn
folder: /portal/jetspeed-2/applications
4) create (at least) new standard svn "management" folders trunk, branches
and tags under /portal/applications/j2-admin/
5) move all other existing files and subfolders of the j2-admin folder under
its new trunk folder

After these steps, the new jetspeed-2 svn structure will look like this:

/portals/jetspeed-2
   /applications
     /demo
     /gems
     /j2-admin
       /branches
       /tags
       /trunk
     /rss
  /portal
    /branches
    /tags
    /trunk

Concerning the other applications folders, demo, gems and rss: we are
currently discussing (in the PMC) an additional restructuring which might
result in these
to be moved elsewhere shortly too. But as no final decision has been made
yet, until then we will keep them in the proposed location.

In addition to the svn restructure, we will also need a new JIRA project for
j2-admin to be able to properly maintain and track its own lifecycle and
maintenance.
Proposed JIRA project key: J2-ADMIN.

Besides these changes, we will have to decide how to manage our website
maintenance in the future. Until the last release 2.1.3, all the website
documentation
was generated with maven-1. As we are in the process of replacing the
maven-1 build system with a brand new maven-2 one, we will have to setup our
website
generation anew anyway. The current idea is to keep generating the main site
documentation from within the (new) portal sub project, and integrate the
separate
j2-admin documentation within that using the maven-2 site plugin which is
supposed to be able to do so.
This hasn't been tested out yet, but as many other Apache projects have a
similar svn structure with multiple independently released artifacts, we
will find a
way to do so. One possibility or requirement might be to add an additional
root "site" folder to host a master site project configuration.

Finally, once we have this new svn structure in place, setting up additional
(portal independent) root folders and projects will become easy to do as
well.
Envisioned already are a maven-2 master pom project and a general maven
plugins project.

But for now, the issue at hand is the restructuring as outlined above.

So please vote:

[ ] +1 Yes, perform the svn restructuring and create new JIRA project
J2-ADMIN
[ ]  0 Don't care
[ ] -1 No, do not restructure svn as outlined. Provide reasons and
alternatives.

Thanks,

Ate