portals-jetspeed-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Jetspeed 2.1.3 release end game
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 00:29:36 GMT
This is my fault, I keep saying yes to new features. Its just a  
release, and we can always get in new features later.
Its more important to take care of the health of the project and  
clean up the build situation
I suggest that if you have started on a feature, and its self- 
contained and small enough, finish it
Then lets try to lock down, give it week or so of testing, and  
release 2.1.3
During this lock down period I see no reason why we cannot start  
development on the 2.2 build refactoring
In fact that would be a great thing to discuss at ApacheCon

On Nov 7, 2007, at 4:20 PM, Ate Douma wrote:

> Dear community,
> Since September I myself as well a some other committers have  
> hinted at an imminent release of Jetspeed 2.1.3, shooting for end  
> of October the latest.
> Well, we're now into November already and we're still not ready  
> yet  :(
> I really, really, would have liked to have the 2.1.3 release  
> available at the ApacheCon US in Atlanta next week but that isn't  
> realistic anymore either.
> I think we MUST constrain ourselves to make this release happen ASAP.
> The development of the new Jetspeed 2.2 in the trunk has already  
> been severely delayed because of our work on the 2.1.3 branch, and  
> keeping these two trees in sync also is taking too much valuable  
> time away.
> We really need to continue and finish the new Maven 2 build in the  
> trunk and provide proper migration paths for the current Maven 1  
> and the "old" Maven 2 build environment users of the 2.1.3 version.  
> Only AFTER that we should continue working on new features in my  
> opinion.
> If anyone feels different about this please speak up, but my  
> intention is to vote down ANY further new feature development for  
> the 2.1.3 branch from now on and schedule all new feature requests  
> to the 2.2 release or even thereafter if need be.
> My goal for the 2.1.3 end game is getting it ready for release in  
> the first week of December the latest.
> We can use all the help from both the active and not so active  
> committers and from all the active users too: testing, code and  
> documentation patches, etc.
> So I'm calling out to the whole of our community: please help out  
> to make this happen, and if you have an important feature/ 
> enhancement request, realize that by planning this for *after* the  
> 2.1.3 release you will help too!
> Blocking or serious bugs of course will have to be addressed for  
> 2.1.3, but minor bugs or issues for which acceptable workarounds  
> exists probably will have to be postponed to 2.2 as well.
> Regards,
> Ate
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: jetspeed-user-unsubscribe@portals.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: jetspeed-user-help@portals.apache.org

David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software
[office] +01 707 773-4646
[mobile] +01 707 529 9194

View raw message