portals-jetspeed-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Timony, Michael" <Michael.Tim...@FMR.COM>
Subject RE: Jetspeed 2.1.3 release end game
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:29:16 GMT

The longer the better for us. We hope to be doing some serious testing
on the release candidate. The longer we have to work on it (and you have
to fix any issues) will give us a better more stable release better
performing release. Which means that when it is released you'll be able
to concentrate fully on 2.2 and not be thinking of 2.1.4 release. ;)


-----Original Message-----
From: Ate Douma [mailto:ate@douma.nu] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 7:20 PM
To: Jetspeed Developers List; Jetspeed Users List
Subject: Jetspeed 2.1.3 release end game 

Dear community,

Since September I myself as well a some other committers have hinted at
an imminent release of Jetspeed 2.1.3, shooting for end of October the
Well, we're now into November already and we're still not ready yet  :(

I really, really, would have liked to have the 2.1.3 release available
at the ApacheCon US in Atlanta next week but that isn't realistic
anymore either.

I think we MUST constrain ourselves to make this release happen ASAP.

The development of the new Jetspeed 2.2 in the trunk has already been
severely delayed because of our work on the 2.1.3 branch, and keeping
these two trees in sync also is taking too much valuable time away.

We really need to continue and finish the new Maven 2 build in the trunk
and provide proper migration paths for the current Maven 1 and the "old"
Maven 2 build environment users of the 2.1.3 version. Only AFTER that we
should continue working on new features in my opinion.

If anyone feels different about this please speak up, but my intention
is to vote down ANY further new feature development for the 2.1.3 branch
from now on and schedule all new feature requests to the 2.2 release or
even thereafter if need be.

My goal for the 2.1.3 end game is getting it ready for release in the
first week of December the latest.
We can use all the help from both the active and not so active
committers and from all the active users too: testing, code and
documentation patches, etc.

So I'm calling out to the whole of our community: please help out to
make this happen, and if you have an important feature/enhancement
request, realize that by planning this for *after* the 2.1.3 release you
will help too!

Blocking or serious bugs of course will have to be addressed for 2.1.3,
but minor bugs or issues for which acceptable workarounds exists
probably will have to be postponed to 2.2 as well.



To unsubscribe, e-mail: jetspeed-dev-unsubscribe@portals.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: jetspeed-dev-help@portals.apache.org

To unsubscribe, e-mail: jetspeed-dev-unsubscribe@portals.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: jetspeed-dev-help@portals.apache.org

View raw message