From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Supporting Pocket PC
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2007 23:32:05 GMT
On Aug 29, 2007, at 10:08 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to provide separate pages and themes to Pocket PC clients.
> I remember that there have been some useful emails about supporting
> WAP clients, but I think my
> problem is somewhat different from those.
>
> Pocket PCs usually have Windows CE and IE4, with very small screen
> size (240*320).
> Also, this kind of devices are different from the *xhtml-basic*
> clients or from the *wml-generic*
> clients because they support only HTML. And so their preferred mime
> type is 'text/html', just like
> desktop browsers.
>
> My problem is like the following:
> - I'd like to make another media type, such as *html-basic* for
> Pocket PC clients.
>   I'd like to provide separate pages. For example,
> /WEB-INF/pages/_user/guest/_mediatype/html-basic.
> - However, I cannot find a solution to do that.
>   o.a.j.capabilities.impl.JetspeedCapabilities sets the preferred
> media type of the capability map
> for a client to one, associating with the mime type.
>   That is, because there's existing mime type, *text/html* and its
> associated media type, *html*,
> I cannot set another media type for Pocket PC clients.
>
> So, I got a doubt about the current media type selection for a client.
> The current selection is based on preferred mime type of a client.
> However, if two clients have a same preferred mime type (e.g. *text/
> html*), but if the two (Pocket
> PC and Desktop) should be treated differently in page or theme
> selection, what can we do?

I think we are going to have to enhance the Capability component to
consider other factors in determining the media type besides mime type
Perhaps if we went straight from agent -> media type in the media
type calculation with an optional attribute?

		<Client name="pocketpc" evalOrder="111" preferredMimeTypeID="text/
html" preferredMediaType='html-basic'>

I am not too enthusiastic about that solution as it requires
additional model changes to support the optional preferredMediaType
but Im really not coming up with a better solution
Propose that we review this implementation and consider reworking it
for the 2.2 release as its not even clear to me why we have to go
from client -> mimetype -> mediatype
That was leftover from J1 and I just modeled it the same way
For the 2.1.3 release, I don't want to make any schema changes
Do you need this for the 2.1.3 release? If yes, I propose finding a
way to represent this relationship in the existing model