From "Edgar Poce" <edgarp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: wysiwyg editor for layout decorator
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:43:49 GMT
On 7/13/07, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:
> Edgar Poce wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I'd like to have a portlet that allows the user to customize the
> > layout with a wysiwyg user interface. AFAIK j2 doesn't have this
> > functionality, in case I'm right I'd like to try to implement it,
> > could anyone comment some tips about how it should be implemented? I'd
> > like to ask a more specific question but it's not clear to me how the
> > layout rendering works. The documentation I found in the site is
> > oriented to designers[1] and doesn't provide information about how the
> > decoration can be extended.
> I think it would be great to have such a portlet, but as you know our decorators really
are script based, Velocity and recently with JS2-711[1] JSP.

I'm not particularly worried about the script intensive nature of the
velocity layouts, I like velocity as a template technology and in any
case, if the macros are complex, I guess they can be improved or new
macros can be created to make them more accessible to designers with
little knowledge of scripting.

> And the current implementation is highly dynamic and coding intensive as these scripts
pull in and process a lot of context information to render the output.

> In retrospect, especially when I saw the amount of scripting needed for the JSP based
decorators, I've come to the conclusion we can and should provide a better
> environment with a real decorator engine and api to make this much easier with the next
release.
> When we have such a decorator engine in place, defining and implementing custom decorators
(both layout and portlet) should become much easier, and require far
> less "code" scripting, if at all. And it would be one of my goals to actually separate
the layout markup templates from the scripting completely.
> I'm also involved in the Wicket project[2], and that really allows you to design and
style and modify the markup in any xhtml capable editor without need to
> touch the code/scripting behind it.
> I'm not (yet) suggesting we should plug in Wicket as decorator engine (although it would
be interesting to try), but my goal is functionally similar.
> (Maybe also interesting in this context is that I'm currently working on bringing real
portlet support to Wicket[3,4])

Sounds very interesting.

> When we would have this, it should be very simple to allow editing (and adding) layout
decorators in a WYSIWYG portlet indeed.

In case it takes a big effort, in the meantime it would be cool to
have a wysiwyg editor for the velocity templates as they are now. My
question was pointing to this kind of short term solution.

> I'm not sure this is the answer you'd like to hear as getting there is still very much
in the future.
> But if you're interested and like to help out with this, you've got my support and I
think a lot of others might be willing to help out too.

I'll try to see how the current layout mechanism work to get a better
idea of the current possibilities. And it would be cool to have a jira
issue with the goals of such engine and a some implementation
thoughts.

br,
edgar

soon at http://wicket.apache.org)