From "Langley, John" <langl...@telcordia.com>
Subject RE: JSP vs. Velocity?
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:53:54 GMT
Although I'll readily admit I'm no expert ;^) .... Scott, it seems like you could achieve similar
results with JSTL and some new custom tags hosted within JSP pages, no? JSTL has conditionals
and branching and new tags could give you the background processing you need without introducing
another language, etc. Just a thought.

Oh, and thanks for the thoughtful conversation on the topic. It's great to see active developers
debating the topic. So far I've only worked with the 2.0 code that I checked out of svn; I
haven't worked with the trunk since I first started (and had problem building etc.). Also,
I've worked with the maven plugin to get just the "standard site" down for tweaking.

As input from a newbie... between learning maven, sorting through some errors on the documentation
pages and the natural holes in documentation (which is why you have to dig into maven); learning
to customize a Jetspeed 2 site has proven to be a bit more daunting than I had hoped. (As
an exercise... try and figure out how to get rid of the "additional links" items in the left
hand navigation, and no, it's not in the psml ;^)

Having said that, the richness of the platform, it's support for JSF, SSO and themeing certainly
make it very attractive. If I can just get over the learning curve ;^)

If anyone's interested I'm keeping notes of the issues I've run into and their solutions on
http://jetspeed-hacking.blogspot.com (I suppose I should post that on the user list too. )

Thanks for the pointers about the trunk code Aaron and Scott, do you think you'll be posting
any of layout code you recently did?

Langley