From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: PageAdministrationPortlet
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 15:59:40 GMT
Sebastian Komander wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think about creating a portlet for administration of pages.
> Some features...
>
> - displaying the complete folderstructure incl. all pages and links
> - starting from the root folder (WEB-INF/pages) you can navigate to all
> folders
> - editing the folder, page and link (meta)data
> - changing skins, layouts of pages
> - displaying the portlets lying on a page
> - adding, removing, position changing of portlets on a specific page (gui)
> - adding of links and folders
> - changing security options
> - moving portlets via drag 'n drop on a page
> some more I think about

Yes, arguably the most important missing features are listed there :)

I think more than one of us would like to work on these featuress
We should also consider that although you are proposing this as an
administrative function, I could see a lot of the features listed above
used by end users also, specifically:

- a user managing My Pages (and folders)
- all the customization features should also be available to the end
user. For end users, i think portlet wizards would be very useful.

Also:
Take a look at

1. the Site Manager portlet (login as admin, goto to Admin page)
2. the existing customizer

Not much there yet in the Site Manager, but it gives an idea

> But I'm not sure about some things:
>
> - Is it really usefull, cause the PageManager get's replaced by a Database
> Manager (->graffito?)

Yes it is useful because we expect to use the same API whether we using
a file system, database, or graffito backend for storing pages and
folders. Although Ive considered deprecated the page manager completely
and replacing it with the Graffito API, since there are already some
nice portlets for managing Graffito content.

> - Which technologies should be used? Struts, JSF, "simple JSPs with EL"

Thats up to us
My vote would be:

-1 Struts
-100 simple JSPs
+1 JSF
+1 Bridges Framework (Velocity)

> - Is someone working on a portlet which has similar functions ?

Yes. Im working on a portlet selector/customizer.
I was working on the Site Manager (see above), and was hopoing to get
back to it real soon. Im willing to deprecate the existing Site Manager
and work with you on the new features.

> Please give me some feedback..

We need to make a proposal, and get input from the community.
Once the team feels that the proposal is ready, we can start working on
it and assign tasks in JIRA

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software