From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [J2] deployment-refactoring branch
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:33:46 GMT

Luc Fouin wrote:
> Ate Douma a écrit :
>
>> I fully agree. That's the reason I wrote that comment above.
>>
>> But, I also still hope we can release a M2 before the end of this
>> month and I really would like to see the new deployment implementation
>> be part of it.
>>
>> Hopefully others are already testing it too without telling so
>

> it seems that the deployment while tomcat is running is not working as
> well as before, because i was not able to deploy my portlets by copying
> a *.war* file in _<CATALINA_HOME>/webapps/WEB-INF/deploy_, i had a ,  i
> just had to restart Tomcat and it deploy fine...
Make sure you have attributes autoDeploy="true" and unpackWARs="true" defined
on the <Host ...> element in <CATALINA_HOME>/conf/server.xml.
Tomcat should hotdeploy the wars itself then. This is one of the changes in this
branch: Jetspeed isn't expanding the wars itself anymore!

> the pb may be because of me but my portlet used to work and deploy well
> before on Tomcat5.0.28 - Jdk1.5, as we are now in Tomcat5.5.7 - Jdk1.5
>

> Ate, i just saw there were no more *.war* files in _WEB-INF/deploy_, did
> you change the way they were stored??
Correct.
When you copy a war in the <CATALINA_HOME/webapps/Jetspeed/WEB-INF/deploy
folder, "all" Jetspeed does is infuse the war with the required changes
to the web.xml and add a portlet.tld (if needed). Then the war is *moved*
to the webapps folder for Tomcat to autoDeploy.
Previously, these wars were kept in the deploy folder to detect manual deletions
which than resulted in Jetspeed unregistering the portlet application and
undeploying the web application.
I've dropped this feature (for now; a different solution, probably through
new/enhanced PAM portlets is required).

Please read my comments in http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-210 for
details about what features are changed (and temporarily lost) in this branch.

Ate