From Raphaël Luta <raph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Folder semantics issue
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:51:58 GMT
Randy Watler wrote:
> Raphael,
>
> The reason all of this is so confusing is due to the use of the Profiler
> by the PageManager. Because the getParent*() methods are coming from the
> physical folder/page nodes and various collections in the $site object
> are presenting a logical view, there is often disagreement. The easiest
> way to stay sane is to never use the getParent*() methods... :-(
>
> However, everyone wants to navigate the $site folder hierarchies to
> generate menus. I am proposing that this be fixed in the latest Portal
> Navigations proposal that has been discussed lately on another thread.
> The idea is to build a proxy site definition that mostly delegates to
> the underlying physical files and folders, but hides the real file
> system getParent*() methods. For now, you can employ nested document
> sets to generate hierarchical menus. However, as noted by others, it is
> not intuitive to do so.
>
> If you need to create some complex portal navigations using M1 and
> cannot wait for the M2 refactoring, let me know and I can give you a hand.

I hqve no urgent need to qddress, I can wait the refqctoring. It's just
that I noticed something thqt simply feels like a semantic issue that
makes using J2 more complex that it needs to be.

If you already have a fix in the works, I'll wait for it.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/