From Randy Watler <wat...@wispertel.net>
Subject Re: Folder semantics issue
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:42:47 GMT
Raphael,

The reason all of this is so confusing is due to the use of the Profiler
by the PageManager. Because the getParent*() methods are coming from the
physical folder/page nodes and various collections in the $site object
are presenting a logical view, there is often disagreement. The easiest
way to stay sane is to never use the getParent*() methods... :-(

However, everyone wants to navigate the $site folder hierarchies to
generate menus. I am proposing that this be fixed in the latest Portal
Navigations proposal that has been discussed lately on another thread.
The idea is to build a proxy site definition that mostly delegates to
the underlying physical files and folders, but hides the real file
system getParent*() methods. For now, you can employ nested document
sets to generate hierarchical menus. However, as noted by others, it is
not intuitive to do so.

If you need to create some complex portal navigations using M1 and
cannot wait for the M2 refactoring, let me know and I can give you a hand.

Randy