From "Scott T. Weaver" <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: [J2][VOTE] Consistent XML tag style usage for PSML and related documents
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:30:06 GMT
+1 on option 1.

Randy Watler wrote:

> J2 Dev Team:
>
> As part of adding resource security/permission checks to page and
> folder access in the PageManager, I am considering adding a new
> multi-word tag: <security-constraint/> to *.psml, *.link, *.ds, and
> folder.metadata documents. PSML documents typically use the
> <security-constraint/> tag name style, while the other content
> documents use the <securityConstraint/> style.
>
> Castor does offer the ability to accept both styles for primitive
> members, but is not similarly flexible for class mappings. Because
> Castor cannot uniformly support both styles, I am wondering which
> option the dev team would like me to follow:
>
> 1) Convert all documents to use a consistent style, namely
> <security-constraint/> to match the JSR-168 style.
> 2) Implement <security-constraint/> or <securityConstraint/> depending
> on the prevailing style of the document.
> 3) Implement only <security-constraint/> and ignore resulting mixed
> styles.
>
> Option 1 implies impact for anyone with a running J2 site, but if we
> are going to change this we need to do it before the M1 release IMO.
> Option 2 accommodates the existing style differences, but might be
> more confusing and/or difficult to document. IMO, Option 3 is just
> plain ugly, albeit easiest on me.
>
> I am willing to port the J2 demo site and my own implementation to
> achieve a consistent XML style, option 1. Opinions?
>
> Randy

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."  -
Admiral Hyman Rickover

*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <weaver@apache.org>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
* OpenEdit, Website Content Management *
*     <http://www.openedit.org>           *