From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [J2] Proposal: Handling encoding requirements for the Portal URL
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:04:53 GMT

David Sean Taylor wrote:

>> 6) Within Jetspeed, HttpServletRequest.getPathInfo() may not be used
>> anymore because it will first decode the the path string which can
>> again break the
>> url parsing. Luckily, this can be easily circumvented by using the
>> following statement:
>>   String pathInfo =
>>     request.getRequestURI().substring(request.getContextPath().length()+
>>                                       request.getServletPath().length());
>>
> I would like to review each individual place where getPathInfo is used
> before just blindly changing it.
> One issue on Weblogic, during a request dispatcher's include,
> getContextPath() returns the path to the dispatched servlet, where as on
> Tomcat and JBoss, it returns the context path to the dispatching servlet
The Servlet spec (2.3, SRV4.4) says:
   It is important to note that, except for URL encoding differences between the
   request URI and the path parts, the following equation is always true:
      requestURI = contextPath + servletPath + pathInfo

Assuming Weblogic is compliant to the specs aren't the pathInfo (and
servletPath) then also be of the dispatched servlet?