From "Scott T. Weaver" <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: jetspeed 2 build organization suggestions
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:40:21 GMT
Anything that'll organize the little Maven monster we have created will
get a +1 from me ;)

David Jencks wrote:

> I have been reviewing the jetspeed 2 build process and believe it
> could be improved in several areas.
>
> 1. using maven features appropriately within the current project
> structure.  For instance, it appears to me that using the multiproject
> plugin instead of the reactor can replace about 236 lines with 2 in
> the top level maven.xml file.
>
> 2. restructuring the project to eliminate conditionals and clarify
> dependencies.  Currently the build appears to be oriented entirely
> toward deploying on tomcat, and from my brief review this appears to
> permeate many areas of the project.  I suggest removing all such
> dependencies from  current build files and creating a new set of
> modules for each installation environment,
>
> installation/tomcat
> installation/weblogic
> installation/geronimo
>
> that will customize as appropriate for the target environment and
> provide appropriate installation tools.
>
> Similarly, I think it might be advisable to factor out the database
> setup support into separate modules such as
>
> installation/database/hsqldb
> installation/database/oracle
>
> I have not yet discovered to what extent the persistence support is
> pluggable, but if for instance you are using ojb via its jdo support
> the choice of jdo vendor and appropriate setup could also be isolated
> in separate modules.
>

> I'd like to know if there are objections to this approach before I
> spend a significant amount of time experimenting with it.
>
> Many thanks,
> david jencks

*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <weaver@apache.org>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
* OpenEditPro, Website Content Management *
*     <http://www.openeditpro.com>        *