From Raphaël Luta <raph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [J2] Jetspeed 2 M1 release ?
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:14:46 GMT
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2004, at 9:17 AM, Raphaël Luta wrote:
>
>> Scott T. Weaver wrote:

>>> I think milestone releases are a great idea.  Would also like to
>>> propose "bundled" binaries of J2 so people can expand and go.  I
>>> think one with Tomcat 5.x and one with JBoss 3.2.5 would be good for
>>> now.
>>>

>> Bundles can be cool but also major support headaches as you then need to
>> guide complete mewbies in the configuration of the Jetspeed but also the
>> bundled app server (like chaging the default port, etc...).
>> Long ago, kevin burton bundled jetspeed with tomcat for distribution but
>> we quickly killed this to provide stand-alone WARs that could be deployed
>> anywhere.
>>
> J2's deployment model is more complex than a single WAR file.
> This is why to me, a bundle would be more attractive
> Users could be up and running with a Hypersonic embedded db immediately

Understood. I'm not saying bundles are a bad idea, it's just that they can
prove a real support burden because they'll usually be used by newbies or
non-technical people...

>> Another issue is that we can't distribute JBoss out of the ASF servers
>> for licensing issues : all releaseed binaries must be ASL2.0 and can't
>> add
>> additionnal restrictions.
>>
> I'd be glad to host a  JBoss distribution here if needed

Hmmm... I think that would be a very bad idea unless you don't plan to use
your Internet bandwidth anytime soon :) It's way better to use SF and its
mirror systems to distribute large binaries like a J2+JBoss bundle.

>> So maybe the best way to serve bundles would be to do it from a non
>> ASF server
>> like Sourceforge.
>>
>> I'll admit I have not completely caught up yet with the current status
>> of J2
>> but if someone wants to become release manager and start tagging the
>> J2 tree
>> for a M1 release I'm willing to test it on my different computers (SMP
>> linux,
>> WinXP and MacOS X).
>

> Im +1 on shooting for a M1 release to coincide with Jetspeed 1.6 release
> Im getting a lot closer on 1.6, the new features (Fusion, Portlet
> Registry, and Jetspeed Cluster) and pretty close

I think September would make good release targets for both J1 and J2.

--
Raphael Luta - raphael@apache.org
Apache Jetspeed - Enterprise Portal in Java