From Raphaël Luta <raph...@apache.org>
Subject [J2] Jetspeed 2 M1 release ?
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:17:35 GMT
Scott T. Weaver wrote:
> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>>
>> I think documentation and bundled demo portal would be the 2 other major
>> items requiring work in J2, but given the increasing stability of the
>> core of J2 and in a bid to help Fusion, we can possibly plan in the very
>> short term a "milestone" release of J2, ie Jestpeed 2 M1 is a JSR168
>> complaint portal, M2 would bring in customization, M3 new content
>> portlets
>> etc... until we get close to equal to the J1 features.
>

> I think milestone releases are a great idea.  Would also like to propose
> "bundled" binaries of J2 so people can expand and go.  I think one with
> Tomcat 5.x and one with JBoss 3.2.5 would be good for now.

Bundles can be cool but also major support headaches as you then need to
guide complete mewbies in the configuration of the Jetspeed but also the
bundled app server (like chaging the default port, etc...).
Long ago, kevin burton bundled jetspeed with tomcat for distribution but
we quickly killed this to provide stand-alone WARs that could be deployed
anywhere.

Another issue is that we can't distribute JBoss out of the ASF servers
for licensing issues : all releaseed binaries must be ASL2.0 and can't add
additionnal restrictions.

So maybe the best way to serve bundles would be to do it from a non ASF server
like Sourceforge.

I'll admit I have not completely caught up yet with the current status of J2
but if someone wants to become release manager and start tagging the J2 tree
for a M1 release I'm willing to test it on my different computers (SMP linux,
WinXP and MacOS X).

--
Raphael Luta - raphael@apache.org
Apache Jetspeed - Enterprise Portal in Java