From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: [J2] Jetspeed 2 M1 release ?
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:02:14 GMT

On Aug 11, 2004, at 9:17 AM, Raphaël Luta wrote:

> Scott T. Weaver wrote:
>> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>>>
>>> I think documentation and bundled demo portal would be the 2 other
>>> major
>>> items requiring work in J2, but given the increasing stability of the
>>> core of J2 and in a bid to help Fusion, we can possibly plan in the
>>> very
>>> short term a "milestone" release of J2, ie Jestpeed 2 M1 is a JSR168
>>> complaint portal, M2 would bring in customization, M3 new content
>>> portlets
>>> etc... until we get close to equal to the J1 features.
>> I think milestone releases are a great idea.  Would also like to
>> propose "bundled" binaries of J2 so people can expand and go.  I
>> think one with Tomcat 5.x and one with JBoss 3.2.5 would be good for
>> now.
>>

> Bundles can be cool but also major support headaches as you then need
> guide complete mewbies in the configuration of the Jetspeed but also
> the
> bundled app server (like chaging the default port, etc...).
> Long ago, kevin burton bundled jetspeed with tomcat for distribution
> but
> we quickly killed this to provide stand-alone WARs that could be
> deployed
> anywhere.

J2's deployment model is more complex than a single WAR file.
This is why to me, a bundle would be more attractive
Users could be up and running with a Hypersonic embedded db immediately

> Another issue is that we can't distribute JBoss out of the ASF servers
> for licensing issues : all releaseed binaries must be ASL2.0 and can't
> add
> additionnal restrictions.

I'd be glad to host a  JBoss distribution here if needed

> So maybe the best way to serve bundles would be to do it from a non
> ASF server
> like Sourceforge.
>
> I'll admit I have not completely caught up yet with the current status
> of J2
> but if someone wants to become release manager and start tagging the
> J2 tree
> for a M1 release I'm willing to test it on my different computers (SMP
> linux,
> WinXP and MacOS X).

Im +1 on shooting for a M1 release to coincide with Jetspeed 1.6 release
Im getting a lot closer on 1.6, the new features (Fusion, Portlet
Registry, and Jetspeed Cluster) and pretty close

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software