From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: [J2] Unused methods in PortletWindowAccessor
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:57:34 GMT

On Jul 2, 2004, at 2:41 AM, Serge Huber wrote:

> Sorry guys I've been terribly busy trying to save a client from a
> disaster they managed to create themselves :)
>
> Anyway about the createWindow call, it is something I suggested
> because I was using J2's PortletWindows to manage nav state for me. I
> was trying to avoid having to use fragments that don't exist outside
> of J2 and it seemed like a good solution.
>
> Now this is a question of how we manage these APIs : should they be
> deleted or should they be part of a "library API" for J2 ? As David
> mentioned some APIs are also used by Fusion, so removing methods might
> break J1, and that is not something that we would like.
>
> On another side, freezing APIs should only be done I think on "major"
> releases, so I'm open to options. I will still have the problem of
> managing somehow navigation state, and J2's current implementation
> relies solely on PortletWindow objects.

Portlet Windows are a core concept of a portal. They are part of the
portal model and even defined in the portlet specification.
Therefore I don't see an issue J2 relying on the PortletWindow interface

> Another thing that I'm interesting in helping out with is mapping from
> window to entity. For the moment we use a 1-1 mapping and this is
> probably why we don't need some of these APIs. Once we move to a n-1
> mapping, we will need to have methods to create windows on existing
> entities. I am currently doing this in Jahia, where I use n-1 mapping
> from PortletWindows to PortletEntities (hence the need for the
> createPortlet(windowID, PortletEntity)

1:1 was all I got around to implementing
The Pluto design supports 1:many, see PortletEntity interface, it has a
getPortletWindowList() method

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software