From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: [J2] Unused methods in PortletWindowAccessor
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 17:59:52 GMT

On Jul 2, 2004, at 6:00 AM, Scott T Weaver wrote:

>> Now this is a question of how we manage these APIs : should they be
>> deleted
>> or should they be part of a "library API" for J2 ? As David mentioned
>> some
>> APIs are also used by Fusion, so removing methods might break J1, and
>> that
>> is not something that we would like.
>
> No, its not good at all to break other people's things.  It is somewhat
> a (good) surprise that software that is still in the alpha stages is
> depended on by other projects in the way that J2 is.

thanks for updating the Fusion dependencies
Haven't tested it yet, still dealing with J2 test deploy test failing

>> On another side, freezing APIs should only be done I think on "major"
>> releases, so I'm open to options. I will still have the problem of
>> managing
>> somehow navigation state, and J2's current implementation relies
>> solely on
>> PortletWindow objects.
> +1.  There is still A LOT of refactoring yet to be done on J2, and
> IMOHO, the refactoring will never stop.  We still have many things left

"The refactoring will never stop"
Well, I take issue with that. I personally am mortal, when I die, or
better yet when I retire or 'move on', the refactoring stops for me
Or maybe there is a refactoring hell ;-)

> in /portal that need to be made into components.  I think I have
> PAM/Deployment pretty much ready to move.

Well I think a lot of that refactoring could go on in the Pluto CVS to
make the Pluto API a lightweight component good citizen
We've a ways to go there

My current refactoring will involve making the Engine a component
I think someone has already signed up for making the pipeline a
component

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software