From Serge Huber <shub...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: [J2] Unused methods in PortletWindowAccessor
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:41:09 GMT

Sorry guys I've been terribly busy trying to save a client from a disaster
they managed to create themselves :)

Anyway about the createWindow call, it is something I suggested because I
was using J2's PortletWindows to manage nav state for me. I was trying to
avoid having to use fragments that don't exist outside of J2 and it seemed
like a good solution.

Now this is a question of how we manage these APIs : should they be deleted
or should they be part of a "library API" for J2 ? As David mentioned some
APIs are also used by Fusion, so removing methods might break J1, and that
is not something that we would like.

On another side, freezing APIs should only be done I think on "major"
releases, so I'm open to options. I will still have the problem of managing
somehow navigation state, and J2's current implementation relies solely on
PortletWindow objects.

Another thing that I'm interesting in helping out with is mapping from
window to entity. For the moment we use a 1-1 mapping and this is probably
why we don't need some of these APIs. Once we move to a n-1 mapping, we
will need to have methods to create windows on existing entities. I am
currently doing this in Jahia, where I use n-1 mapping from PortletWindows
to PortletEntities (hence the need for the createPortlet(windowID,
PortletEntity)

Regards,
   Serge Huber.

- -- --- -----=[ shuber2 at jahia dot com ]=---- --- -- -