From Raphael Luta <raph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Inter Portlet Communication
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:10:03 GMT
MATSUDA Masaaki wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in this question.
>

>>Assuming you're using J1, you can simply share data between your
>>portlets using the session.
>>Simply have your link invoke an action in Portlet 1, that will set a
>>session or request parameter that is
>>expected by Portlet 2.
>

> The idea of using session is the easiest way, I think too.
> But, there is a trouble.
>
> For example :
> There are two portlets on the screen,
>
> <snip>
>
> Looks good.
> There is 2 news...
>
> Of cource the upper portlet is setting session
> attribute of news count, and lower portlet is showing
> the session value.
>
> But,...
> Is it normal to show the news count upper?!
> I changed the portlet layout, then trouble has occur!
>
> <snip>
>
> The news count is null :-P
> Very sad...
> I could understand there is executing sequence of portlet
> action. Normally, upper on the screen is first.
>

> ...Then, what can I do to solve this trouble?

This is created because you set your variable within your portlet
buildNormalContext(). These methods are called during the rendering
process following the entry order in PSML (which may be different
from the visual layout order), thus you can't depend on any portlet
being executed before another.

There are several ways to work around this depending on your exact
requirements, for example :
- use a Turbine action before you reach the page to set the correct
value in the session.
- share a "Turbine tool" between your portlets that will provide
access to the same model

Hope this helps,

--
Raphaƫl Luta - raphael@apache.org
Apache Jetspeed - Enterprise Portal in Java