From Scott T Weaver <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: [J2] Unused methods in PortletWindowAccessor
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:00:46 GMT
On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 05:41, Serge Huber wrote:
> Sorry guys I've been terribly busy trying to save a client from a disaster
> they managed to create themselves :)
>
> Anyway about the createWindow call, it is something I suggested because I
> was using J2's PortletWindows to manage nav state for me. I was trying to
> avoid having to use fragments that don't exist outside of J2 and it seemed
> like a good solution.

NP, I was just checking.  As I re-factor code, I like to clean up unused
variables, methods and what not.  I didn't see any immediate references
with the J2 project to these methods, so that is why I asked.

> Now this is a question of how we manage these APIs : should they be deleted
> or should they be part of a "library API" for J2 ? As David mentioned some
> APIs are also used by Fusion, so removing methods might break J1, and that
> is not something that we would like.

No, its not good at all to break other people's things.  It is somewhat
a (good) surprise that software that is still in the alpha stages is
depended on by other projects in the way that J2 is.

> On another side, freezing APIs should only be done I think on "major"
> releases, so I'm open to options. I will still have the problem of managing
> somehow navigation state, and J2's current implementation relies solely on
> PortletWindow objects.
+1.  There is still A LOT of refactoring yet to be done on J2, and
IMOHO, the refactoring will never stop.  We still have many things left
in /portal that need to be made into components.  I think I have
PAM/Deployment pretty much ready to move.

> Another thing that I'm interesting in helping out with is mapping from
> window to entity. For the moment we use a 1-1 mapping and this is probably
> why we don't need some of these APIs. Once we move to a n-1 mapping, we
> will need to have methods to create windows on existing entities. I am
> currently doing this in Jahia, where I use n-1 mapping from PortletWindows
> to PortletEntities (hence the need for the createPortlet(windowID,
> PortletEntity)

+1 on getting 1-n working.

> Regards,
>    Serge Huber.
>
> At 20:41 01.07.2004, you wrote:

> >>I update every day.  I don't use J1 so I don't have it in my
> >>environment, I guess that is on more thing I need to be concerned
> >>about.
> >>That is why I asked.  I could have just deleted them.
> >Yup, you can do whatever you please, but it doesn't change the fact that
> >you would have still broken the J1 build.
> >
> >In my mind, the Jetspeed-1 and Jetspeed-2 teams are the same.
> >There are two different CVS modules, yet we as committers are members of
> >both CVS modules.
> >
> >Once we have a release, any release of J2, then J1 will become dependent
> >on it.
> >Until then, IMO we do have to be concerned about J1 making use of the J2 API.
> >So whenever the Jetspeed API changes, compile J1

> - -- --- -----=[ shuber2 at jahia dot com ]=---- --- -- -
> www.jahia.org : A collaborative source CMS and Portal Server

*           Scott T. Weaver              *
*         <weaver@apache.org>            *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>       *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal    *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container     *
* OpenEditPro, Website Content Mangement *
*     <http://www.openeditpro.com>       *