From "Sami Leino" <sami.le...@netorek.fi>
Subject RE: [JETSPEED 2] Service framework progress
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:21:29 GMT
I just started to inspect Spring's core, and I must say that the first
impression of it's quality is quite poor. I wired up a small XML file
containing simple dependencies, and tried to read it in. The results I had
were very disappointing:

1) It did not handle primitive type wrappers, such as Integers
2) They said it has support for registering custom property editors (for
Dates etc.), but I found no way of registering them PRIOR to loading the
file
3) When I switched to using XmlBeanFactory to read in XML file, I had the
following exception:   [java] java.lang.IllegalStateException: InputStream
has already been read - do not use InputStreamResource if a stream needs
to be read multiple times

Concerning issues 1 and 2, see
http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=2246489. They said
somewhere that they are proud of how active they are in replying to
support requests, but since even this question remains unanswered in
multiple threads, I just have to wonder.

On the other hand, Spring resolved the dependencies between objects quite
nicely. But if you cannot even set an Integer with it by default, what's
the use?

The BeanFactory was a big disappointment to me because I had read many
user comments saying that Spring excels. It's propably possible that the
top layers on top of the core might be good, but I don't know. I was
stupid in believing what the users say instead of seeing it for myself.

I'm happy to see that the information they had about PicoContainer was
outdated. I am pleased about the addition of a setter injection in Pico,
because there are few things that can make using constructor injection a
pain (many of them are mentioned in Martin Fowler's excellent Article
"Inversion of Control Containers and the Dependency Injection pattern"
-http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/injection.html). Because of this
disappointment in Spring, I will propably move towards PicoContainer too.

By the way: what happened to Hivemind? Was it taken offline by some
licensing issue? It was one of the candidates I planned to inspect.

Sami

--

Sami Leino
Software Developer